Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Short-Term Mission Opportunity

SAMPLE SUPPORT LETTER FOR SHORT TERM MISSIONS PROJECTS  (feel free to use or adapt as you wish).


Dear Brothers and Sisters:


My family and I have a wonderful opportunity to serve the Lord on a short-term mission project this summer. It will be a lovely and precious time of ministry as we will have opportunities to encourage the inhabitants of a strange world of multiple cultures.
We pray that God will use us to build them up and help them find real purpose in their lives. This will be a one-week missions trip to the hot, humid swamps of central Florida that, we trust, will enable to carry out the spirit of the great commission as the Lord has commanded us; “Go ye!”


In order for my entire family to experience this wonderful blessing (something that has been my life-long dream), we will need a total of $15,000 to cover airline tickets, food, hotel rooms, passage to all the different lands of this mystical world, discretionary funds for undetermined needs, money to cover lost wages (so I don't have to use up any of my vacation time), and lovely, happy, feel-good tracts to pass out to the indigenous characters of Disney World.

One of the positive aspects of this mission opportunity is that we will not need to spend a lot of time mastering new languages. Apart from learning a few local colloquialisms like, "Bibbity bobbity boo," "Hi Ho, Hi Ho" and "Akuna Matata," communication should be pretty simple.  Besides, most of the inhabitants are multi-lingual.

Will you prayerfully consider partnering with us to build up the Kingdom by supporting us in this ministry endeavor? I know times are hard and money is scarce but your gift of any size will be appreciated.  And remember, the bigger the offering, the better your reward, since you cannot outgive God.  We would really prefer not to have to pay for any of this ourselves (After all - we are the ones making the physical sacrifice to go and serve in this manner).  For we know that you will get the greater reward for your sacrificial part in our labor.  So "Let It Go."

Please make your check payable to the Ichabod Baptist Buddhist Comfortable Church of Open Hearts and Open Arms.

I want to thank you, in advance, for the very generous gift you are certain to give. Together, we can accomplish much as we show forth the love of God to all creatures great and small.  Oh, and, by the way, if you cannot make a donation, at least you can pray.  Pray that we all have a good, safe time, that our luggage doesn't get lost, and that we won't be too overly stressed or uncomfortable during our trip. 







Ralph M. Petersen and family

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A worthy cause and productive ministry if I ever saw one.

Anonymous said...

Mice, ducks and chipmunks are not of the elect. Midgets? Maybe.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you will all be richer for the experience.

Daisy said...

So if I send you a check can you send me an autographed book on how I too can be rich and famous?

Anonymous said...

Now that's funny. Did you ever notice that most missionary support letters look like they were all made from the same pattern?
Thanks for the laugh.

hymns that preach said...

I first posted this three years ago. But all of a sudden, I am getting a flurry of these short-term mission letters requesting support. And, yes Harold, they ALL seem to have been crafted from the same template.

Anonymous said...

If you're really coming to Orlando you must get in touch with me and we'll get together!

hymns that preach said...

THANKS STAN,
If I ever get down there again I will look you up.

NotMister said...

I am not sure why but it seems like the past 5 years there has been an increase in short term mission trips. I think it's a big waste of money and resources. Think of all the things they could spend the money on if they just sent the money to a missionary who is stationed in a certain place. It also amazes me how lots of popcorn mission people think they are so much Christian than ones who don't . Than when they come back home treat others poorly. This one group I know went to Peru and they wouldn't share their bug spray with this lady on their team. How Christian is that? I applaud true missionaries who devote their whole entire life to Christ.