Tuesday, October 21, 2014

The GOOD OLD BOYS CLUB Reunion (NOT ALLOWED 2 LAFF)

Three times this week I have been asked about my blog address and the meaning of NA2L.  So I am reposting this from a couple years ago.  Sometimes old stories just have to be retold. 

March 26, 2012

I am really looking forward to my lunch meeting tomorrow.  Our Good Old Boys Club hasn't meet for nearly three years since we were disbanded.

The "club" was composed of several conservative, principled, and unemotional men who were charged with the administrative oversight of our Christian school.   The name, which was intended to be pejorative, was pinned on us by a couple unhappy and overly emotional women who, later, got angry when we adopted it, made light of it, and then wore the GOBC moniker with pride.
I even had a GOBC sticker on my car.  Apparently that was too far over the top for some people.  I was ordered, by one of our pastors, to remove it because, he said,  it was "offensive" to the women who gave us the name. 

Go figure.  It was MY FAULT that they were angry just because we had the audacity to joke about it.  Well, I just politely obliged for the sake of peace, and I removed the decal from my car.  I then replaced it with the letters, IAMF.  It was just a couple weeks later that someone asked one of my friends what the IAMF meant.  When he was told that it meant, "It's All My Fault," I was directed to remove that sticker too.  I guess that's what happens when people have thin skin.  They can dish it out, but they can't take it.

Oh well, I'm flexible and easy to get along with so, for the sake of a couple spineless pastors, I replaced IAMF with NA2L.  I know you're curious about that; it stands for Not Allowed 2 Laff.   
It was the truth; I was not allowed 2 laff.  I didn't know it then but, it seems that, in general, conservatives are not allowed to have a sense of humor (especially sarcastic humor).  Some people just don't know how to laugh.  That sticker had to go too.  So instead I used the phrase, notallowed2laff, for my Blog address.  You woulda thought the world was coming to an end.  My blog caused an inquisition and nearly resulted in a bizarre attempt to "Matt. 18" me into some kind of illegitimate church discipline.

So, tomorrow our Good Old Boys Club will unofficially convene for the last time.   We will reminisce about all the years of our committee service and the good times we had together.  We will Laff a lot and joke about non-essential persons (NEP), fat books, ESLERs, and the infamous terrorist, Ron de Bom Bom.   And we might even talk about how we were once publicly denigrated as just a few Well-Meaning Gentlemen With Different Ideas. 


They meant it all for harm, but we used it as an excuse to Laff.  

No comments: