Saturday, July 12, 2008

When Cancer Strikes, God Is Strong

Last week (July 3 to be exact) marked the third anniversary of the beginning of what would become the most frightening ordeal my family has ever experienced.

As my wife and I were shopping on a Saturday morning, I received a call from my daughter who was concerned about our three-year old granddaughter who had been throwing up for several days. Her husband was away on a business trip. I told her to get ready and I would drive her to Kaiser for a checkup.

The bad news came within two hours; Madi had a tumor growing at the base of her brain and emergency transportation had been called to transport her to Los Angeles. I returned home to get my wife and make several phone calls. We drove to L.A. that evening where Madi and my daughter had been admitted to the emergency room. Surgical removal of the tumor had already been scheduled for Tuesday. I left my wife with them and returned home because I had communion service responsibilities in church the next morning.

About 8:00 AM Sunday morning my wife called to inform me that Madi had slipped into a coma and the emergency staff had to drill into her skull to relieve the pressure from fluid buildup and then she was transported to surgery for immediate tumor removal.

It was CANCER. Over the next two years, after several surgeries and various treatments the prospects did not look promising. But we learned what it meant to be totally dependent on God and trust in His absolute sovereignty. It has been over a year since treatments have ceased and Madi is still alive, the cancer has not advanced and she has resumed growth. Praise God.

You can read more about Madi, her ordeals and her family here and here.
But that is not the reason for this blogpost.

I know, from personal experience, the emotional, spiritual, and financial stress that comes to a family when faced with cancer. And I know how much my family appreciated the thousands of faithful prayers and support from across the country and around the world during our times of need.

I received a personal note from Josh at Truth Matters. He is a brother in the Lord, and a warrior in the battle for Truth. Recently cancer has afflicted his family and they are in desperate need of some prayer and relief to provide for the daily care and help for his mother, Carol. Their medical insurance plan makes little provision for very expensive daily medications that will be ongoing for several years and they have already made tremendous personal sacrifices to meet her needs. The burden is great but God is greater.

I have already made a contribution to help Carol. If God puts this burden on your heart, I know Josh and his family will appreciate anything you can do to help too. You can read more about her needs and be kept informed of her condition here.

"Bear ye one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ." Galatians 6:2

No comments: