Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Congratulations Mr. Trump

This is my first letter to Donald Trump - mailed on 5-4-2016


Date:   May 4, 2016

To:       Donald Trump
725 5th Avenue
New York, NY 10022


Dear Mr. Trump;

Congratulations; it seems, now, that you will be the Republican nominee for the 2016 presidential election.  To say that you were not my choice is an understatement.  In fact, I don’t believe that you are a true, principled conservative and I fear that you may do serious harm to this country.
 
Nevertheless, I remain hopeful; I believe that you mean well.  I was encouraged by your recently published, conservative support for “America’s First Freedom,” the Second Amendment.  I believe that you really want to see the people employed and the economy vibrant again.  I believe that you really want the United States to be “Great Again.”   So, regardless of how I feel about the outcome of our primary elections, you are the candidate we will have and now, the one I must support in the general election.  To do otherwise would be an irresponsible act of my personal stewardship with a possibly disastrous outcome for my country.
 
Should you become our next president, beyond just supporting you with my vote, God's Word charges Christians (of which I am one) to pray for all those in positions of leadership and authority over us.  That will especially include you,  “Pray for rulers and for all who have authority so that we can have quiet and peaceful lives full of worship and respect for God.  This is good, and it pleases God our Savior” (I Tim. 2:2-3) 

Mr. Trump, you have declared yourself to be a Christian but I have to tell you, many of us have our legitimate reasons to doubt that.  If your profession of Christian faith is without substance, I must tell you that the Lord God will not hear any prayer from you except the prayer of repentance from your sin and a cry unto the Lord Jesus Christ to forgive you and save you.  Many Christians I know are praying, right now, that He would reveal Himself to you to that very end, that you might be saved.

So over the next few months leading up to the election and, over the next four years, should you be successful, I will endeavor to regularly hold you up in prayer-not that you would have your way but that God would have His way.  Here are several specific ways that I, and many other Christians, will be praying for you:

  • You are a very proud and arrogant man and that trait is one that God hates and will be a big hindrance to your success.  I will pray that you will humble yourself, realize your inadequacies for the huge responsibilities you face and that you will recognize your personal sinfulness.
  • I will pray that you will surround yourself with good political and spiritual counsel, and appoint true conservative advisors who will help you protect our God-given republic.
  • I will pray that you will truly depend on God for the wisdom, knowledge, understanding, and courage that you will need to make this country “Great Again.”
  • I will pray that you will reject all the counsel and advice of others, that violates biblical principles.
  • I will pray that God would enable you to resist temptations and pressures to act or rule immorally.
  • I will pray that you will continue to set aside your own personal ambitions for the sake of the best interest of the people, the good of this country, and the religious freedom of the work of God in the nation.
  • I will pray that you would be quick to seek God and trust His Word, as the source of your strength and the key to REAL success.
  • I will pray that you will act carefully to maintain trustworthiness and righteousness in your administration and that you will strive to guard the dignity, honor, and reputation of your office.
  • I will pray that you will stop your outrageous rhetoric and strive to be a good example, to others, of wholesome speech and conduct while carrying out your presidential responsibilities.
  • I will pray that you will be always mindful that you will be held personally accountable to God for your attitudes, actions, and motives while serving your constituents.
  • Finally, and most importantly, Mr. Trump, I will pray that you will seek the Lord while He may be found and turn to Him for the salvation of your soul.



Respectfully,
 




Ralph M. Petersen



1 comment:

Pumice said...

I may need to come back to this regularly for the next few months.

Grace and peace.