Saturday, August 13, 2011

Business Doesn't Pay Taxes

"The most dangerous myth is the demagoguery that business can be
made to pay a larger share, thus relieving the individual. Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us. Business doesn't pay taxes, and who better than business to make this message known? Only people pay taxes, and people pay as consumers every tax that is assessed against a business. Begin with the food and fiber raised in the farm, to the ore drilled in a mine, to the oil and gas from out of the ground, whatever it may be -- through the processing, through the manufacturing, on out to the retailer's license. If the tax cannot be included in the price of the product, no one along that line can stay in business."

Ronald Reagan

2 comments:

Daisy said...

"Politicians preaching this are either deliberately dishonest, or economically illiterate, and either one should scare us."

Amen & Amen. I consider myself fairly economically illiterate and yet this seems like a no brainer to me. Americans need a good dope slap.

hymns that preach said...

A good dope slap? That's one I've not heard before, but I like it.

As for politicians being deliberately dishonest or economically illiterate, I think Reagan was too kind. I think they are deliberately evil or willfully ignorant at best.