Sunday, September 28, 2014

***Only God Is Awesome

Not long ago a friend and I were discussing how words degenerate.  Words mean things but when words begin to mean everything or anything, then they really don’t mean anything.

There is a word that I have been trying to erase from my casual vocabulary. That word is “awesome” and it is one of the most misused words in our culture.  These days, anything vaguely exciting is described as awesome.  We use it as a synonym for “cool” or “impressive.”

But the biblical definition of the word means worthy of awe.  It implies an element of such great fear that it causes someone to fall flat on his face and worship. 

Movies are not awesome.  Cars are not awesome. My grandchildren are not awesome.  In and Out triple cheeseburgers with grilled onions?  Well maybe? Nope – Not awesome.  Not even my rhino collection is awesome.

The Bible tells us that awe is something reserved for God, and God alone:  Job 25:2 says, “Dominion and awe belong to God.”

In the English Standard version of the Scriptures, nearly every use of the word "awesome" is in reference to either God Himself, an aspect of His character, or something He has done.  God, in His Word clearly describes Himself as awesome because He is unique.  He is the ONLY One who is awesome. Scripture declares in many places, “There is none like Him.”

"There is none holy like the LORD; there is none besides You; there is no rock like our God"
(1 Samuel 2:2).
"There is none like You, O LORD, and there is no God besides You, 
 (1 Chronicles 17:20).
"There is none like You, O LORD; You are great, and Your name is great in might"
(Jeremiah 10:6).

3 comments:

Ron Livesay said...

Excellent article, Ralph. Today, there is far too much cheapening of the very character of God by misuse of words.

NotMister said...

I couldn't agree with you more. When my kids were young the swimming teacher would always say "awesome". I am sorry but my kids are not awesome.. God is awesome. Just like the song "How Great Thou Art" Lyrics


O Lord my God, When I in awesome wonder ...should be reserved for HIm.

Bob said...

Reading your post on January 9 2021. I was praying through Psalm 111. It says in verse 9, "Holy and awesome is his name" (ESV). I did a search on using awesome and it took me to your post. I am going to endeavor to not use awesome as a descriptive for anything or anyone but our great God!!