Thursday, November 10, 2011

Selling A Symbol Of Sarcasm

I have already mentioned in an earlier post that, after nearly 17 years, I am preparing to retire.  So my 25 year collection of rhinos and other great stuff that has embellished my private office and "man cave," retreat must be given away or sold.

One of my favorite, non-rhino pieces is this unique, one-of-a-kind, carved wood satirical depiction of the famous "Three Wise Monkeys."  You know who they are and what virtues they represent.  "See no evil, Hear no evil, and Speak no evil.

In fact, my grandchildren are aware of the virtues (along with their biblical imperatives) because they have all learned the Sunday School song, "Be Careful Little Eyes What You See."

My monkeys are NOT WISE - They are UNWISE FOOLS.  Instead of covering his eyes so that he does not see what he shouldn't, one of them is searching for evil with his binoculars.  The second one is cupping his ears so that he will not miss any secrets or gossip.  And the third one is quick to shout out to the world, everything he knows with a megaphone.

Today I am saying goodbye to my foolish, unwise monkey friends.  They have been listed for sale in my wife's eBay store.  

So I am gonna miss you guys.  I know that your next owner will be a person who appreciates satire and sarcasm as much as I do.

No comments: