Monday, June 13, 2011

A Christian Mother's Lament


Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.(Titus 2:3-5 ESV)


Where Are These Older Women?

 

“It seems these older women are with other older women or they are RV-living or something. They've raised their kids and they are ready to live their own life now.  I filled out a form for a bible study and it asked me what age group I was so they can separate us into groups. WHAT?  Well, that really stinks.   I don't want to be put in my age group…


I'd really love to have an older woman friend who would encourage me in the nitty-gritty of life.  I know there are a lot of us who want that.  We talk with each other and feel a bit like the blind leading the blind. We want to hear from those who have been there, done that, bought the t-shirt, and came out the other side slightly cracked, but still intact.”   (Daisy)




Hers is a valid and troubling concern.  I believe it may be an unintended consequence of failed contemporary, market-driven church growth programs that segregate people into special interest groups.  No matter how much church leaders preach, and thump, and cram “unity” down the throats of their congregations, when you have multiple services designed to meet the perceived needs and preferences of people, you will end up with divided, estranged, and dysfunctional congregations.

No comments: