Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The Day of Fools

This is the Day of Fools so I thought it would be fun to recall some of the really stupid things that some people have said. One of my favorite features is “Stupid Quotes” in Rush Limbaugh’s monthly letter and, when I was a child, I enjoyed Art Linkletter’s old TV show, “Kids Say The Darndest Things.” Here are some samplings from “The Stupidest Things Ever Said By Politicians” by Ross and Kathryn Petras:

“The world is more like it is now than it ever has been before.” Dwight D. Eisenhower

“Eight more days and I can start telling the truth again.” Sen. Chris Dodd (Conn.) on campaigning.

“If you take out the killings, Washington actually has a very low crime rate.” Washington, D.C. mayor, Marion Barry

“Those who survived the San Francisco earthquake said, ‘Thank God, I’m still alive.’ But, of course, those who died, their lives will never be the same again.” Sen. Barbara Boxer, (Calif.)

“You know, if I were a single man, I might ask that mummy out. That’s a good-looking mummy!” Bill Clinton, while looking at the Inca mummy, “Juanita.”

“I have opinions of my own – strong opinions – but I don’t always agree with them.” President George Bush

“You can’t just let nature run wild.” Wally Hickel, former governor of Alaska

Probably the most foolish thing anyone could ever say is, “There is no God.” Madelene Murray O’hare has been officially declared dead. She was, perhaps, the world’s most famous atheist. There is one thing that Mrs. O’hare is absolutely certain of now; there really is a God. And I am sure that, if she could, she would return and tell everyone.

“The fool says in his heart, ‘There is no God.’” Psalm 53:1

No comments: